Friday, August 1, 2008

Divorce Cakes

I'm oddly fascinated with divorce cakes. I say this with a fair amount of guilt of course, being that I've been happily married for nearly 4-years to an amazing (and talented!) man, and we own a business that unites people with cake. Ever since Shanna Moakler's Vegas Divorce party where she celebrated her breakup with blink-182's Travis Barker by indulging in a "divorce cake", (see below) I've been noticing the occasional divorce cake popping up on the internet circuit and wonder if this is the next trend in cake design. I read about Suzanne Maxwell who owns Lovin' Oven Bakery in Lancaster, Texas and developed a line of divorce cakes. She even advertises them on her myspace page. I think I'm more fascinated with the psychology behind the meaning of the cake than of the cake itself. I can't help but notice that in all of the divorce cakes, it is the bride inflicting pain on the groom rather than the other way around. The concept is about celebrating one's independence after a painful breakup. Will we begin to see the groom figures at the top of the cake rather than the bride? What about same-sex couple breakups? Is there an amount of time a couple needs to be together before it warrants a divorce/breakup cake? Will any of our wedding clients return in the future for a divorce cake? Questions, questions ...

Here are a bunch of divorce cakes I've culled from various sources over time. Our favorite is the one that started it all, Shanna Moakler's divorce cake, made by the Jean-Phillippe Patisserie at the Bellagio hotel. If you're gonna have a divorce cake, why not have one that's well done, and this one certainly is!

















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these cakes. You have to make one.... I love the top one too, but I love the message on bottom one!!!

Dana V said...

love it - very funny!

LOVIN OVEN SUZ said...

HI, THIS IS SUZANNE AT THE LOVIN OVEN BAKERY IN LANCASTER, TEXAS. THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT MY BAKERY AND DIVORCE CAKES AND MY MYSPACE.
WHEN CHANNEL 5 CALLED ME TO INTERVIEW ME I ONLY HAD 30 MINUTES TO THROW TOGETHER A CAKE FOR THEM TO VIDEO.
ABOUT THE MEN ORDERING DIVORCE CAKES, I HAVE ONLY HAD ONE. WOMEN ARE THE ONES THAT LOVE WEDDING CAKES, I THINK THE MEN USUALLY OPT FOR A LAP DANCE AND WE DON'T OFFER THOSE AT THE BAKERY.
I LOVE DOING SPECIALTY CAKES FOR ANY OCCASION AT REASONABLE PRICES BUT I PREFER USING BUTTERCREAM BECAUSE IT TASTES SO MUCH BETTER. I HAVE BEEN MAKING PEOPLE HAPPY FOR 30 YEARS IN THE SAME LOCATION., I WORKED THERE FOR 8 YEARS BEFORE PURCHASING THE BAKERY. MY MOTHER ACTUALLY WAS THE ONE WHO DREAMED OF HAVING A BAKERY BUT SHE PASSED AWAY BEFORE THAT DREAM WAS A REALITY SO I AM LIVING HER DREAM FOR HER AND I LOVE EVERY DAY OF IT.
THE MOST FUN I HAVE HAD IS DOING WEDDING CAKES AND DESSERTS FOR STARS LIKE JANIE FRICKE AND STEVE WARINER AND HENRY WINKLER AMONG MANY OTHERS, AND JUST RECENTLY DID A BRIDEZILLA BRIDE FOR THE POPULAR TV SHOW BRIDEZILLAS. EVERY DAY IS AN ADVENTURE. I THANK GOD FOR MY WONDERFUL CUSTOMERS AND MY LIFE.
SUZANNE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...